Bits 'n Bobs

Haven't got the plywood for the decks yet so just playing around with a couple of bits 'n bobs.

Added some high density filler to the kicker area and drilled through it. The wood clamped in the middle below is to allow me to maintain pressure on the filler while it sets.



The clamps on the sides are holding the backing support for the inner gunwhale hardware mounting (I think mainly cleats for control lines).

The kicker has backing plates on both sides. This should be strong enough I think.



Next up I need to order a couple of sheets of ply and some carbon. For the underside of the deck I'm going to use 200g "2nd quality" carbon, this is a lot cheaper (17$ a yard for 50" sheets) but might have visual defects.

For the visual carbon parts (the fins, the rudder gantry and various deck fittings) I'll use something without defects that is also a little more expensive.

The last carbon part I'm looking at is a tube across the transom, this will hold the top part of the rudder mount and also stiffen the sides. Is 1mm wall thickness too thin? 

I'm hoping to be ready to order mast and boom in October and have all the main components ready to start putting together in the new year. Given I haven't started on the CB and Rudder this could be a bit ambitious.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Next round of improvements

Upgrade to control lines

Repairing the rudder

Album