Ash Gunwhales

Decided on Ash for several reasons. Firstly it's commonly used for gunwhales, secondly its numbers (see previous post) are ballpark in the right area and thirdly my localish hardwood store had a nice plank that would fit in my car.

I'm pretty aware that the woodworking side of this project is passing. In a few months this boat should be on the water, and I'll be building something different for my daughter but still it feels a little sad to be wrapping up this phase.

And exciting. Fitting out Farrout for sailing will be fun!

Anyway, one of the last woodworking tasks was to put in a couple of scarff joints on the gunwhales. Not sure if they will hold yet (this wood is stiff and hard to bend) but here they are:





One more piece of ash to rip. And some gluing and screwing. Then time to cover the deck with some protection while I work on the other bits; rudder gantry, foils, hardware supports, foot rests, mast step, and then finally onto rigging.

I'm going to guess this is the 2/3 mark, at the end of month number 9 that would mean sailing in February.

Sweep stake?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Next round of improvements

Upgrade to control lines

Repairing the rudder

Album