Side decks on, and I messed up two weeks ago

Put the side decks on today. It was reasonably straightforward. After a few hours I cleared the clamps, planed the excess off the tops and stood back to admire this next piece of progress.

Wait. Was the front kinda lopsided?

Sadly yes. And digging out an angle measurer I was soon confirming the bad news.

The bottom of the port side bulkhead was offset 1/4" relative to the starboard.

Arrrrggggghhhhh....


Left side is more upright than the right, just at the front. I spent some time wondering if I could live with it and decided no to.

More measuring confirmed that it was fine at bulkhead 3. The problem was just that my custom bulkheads hadn't been as similar to each other as I thought.


So I made a wedge to fill it.

With some tiny spacers added in the corner to get the padding up to the needed amount.


Funny thing is I still can't tell if this is straight. But that's a step forward from utter certainty that it was wrong.


Good thing the plan is for these to be white in the end. Will need some fairing though to blend that triangle in nicely.

Addendum: The next day I faired that triangle in.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Next round of improvements

Upgrade to control lines

Repairing the rudder

Album