Hardware thoughts

I'm building up the forward bulkheads (basically a variation on the pattern set by Dave - here).

This got me thinking about hardware as some of it needs to go in before the boat is sealed up (Namely the chainplates, I guess you drop in a small access plate if needed.

Looking at Dave's build the chainplates just appear majically in March 2013, I don't see him having them on before at all. The plans call for them being bolted on prior to the upper deck.

I tried 4" access ports but found it hard to reach around with my arm inside, so went with WestMarine 6" ports. Later on I saw you can get 5" ports, these might be ideal.


I can see the weight coming on.... Now I've cut the holes for two bulkhead access panels it strikes me one would be lighter... oh well.

Forestay

For the forestay attachment a SS EyeBolt seems easy to add, neat and pretty robust. Perhaps something like this - well a bit smaller as nearly 9000lbs breaking strength is a slight overkill!

Or like this from Amazon.

Hmmm, I purchased that eyebolt but am having second thoughts. Perhaps a more traditional fitting like this?

The eyebolt I purchased is shorter than I had in mind. Plan was to oversize a hole in the stem and epoxy the bolt in directly.



Some more thoughts from facebook here.

This seems interesting but the Kiwi's have this natty handle / chainplate combo unit.

Chainplates

Chain plates are pretty small. Last time I fitted some they were two feet long and made out of 1/4" SS. Cost over a thousand USD to get the six I needed made with much of that cost in the polishing. They were works of art though!

The shroud will be angled so the chainplate should be too. Ideally that means I'll want a custom bend (not perpendicular across) so finding a straight chainplate might be best.

MauriPro has a good selection. Perhaps the 5" is enough? Better be because I got a couple. They feel solid, might be a bit overkill, I'll have to do the bend still.

Kicker

Next up I had a think about the vang attachment. I might get fancy in the future but for now a simple U bolt will do. This is going to have a lot of pressure on it but I might have oversized here. One option would be to run a dyneema loop through the bulkhead. I can some back to this later.

The U bolt is mounted through some high density filler and the wood post under the mast is spruce rather than cedar to have a bit more holding power.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Next round of improvements

Upgrade to control lines

Repairing the rudder

Album