Back in the saddle - skinning the hull

Family in town, a ruptured calf muscle and some extra work load kept farrout on the back burner for a bit. This was combined by having issues getting a decent ply sheet scarf joint....

But now we're back!

I gave up on my scarffing jig. The third cut was better but not good enough. So I switched to an off the shelf west system scarffer. Success!



With a bit of practice it now takes about 20 minutes to make a cut including setup, perhaps less.



This was my first attempt. After some more wasted time I switched to the scarrfer.



This shows the Marine sheet on the bottom with a sacrificial sheet above.

The sacraficial sheet is a bit thick but the last little cleanup is easy by hand.


And after investing in some more clamps I was able to glue the first bottom sheet to the boat.



Worth mentioning that I steamed the front section. To do this I wrapped it in plastic and used the steamer.

I'm half happy with this approach. There ended up being a slight lump between the steamed and non steamed sextions that will need some fairing before I glass the bottom. On the other hand it was easy to glue the front.




To get a better result next time I'm going to allow the steam to disapate a bit more gradually. [Actually I just didn't steam at all and it was fine]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Next round of improvements

Upgrade to control lines

Repairing the rudder

Album