Chine Steaming Failure

John came round to try some of this boat building nonsense and together we approached the chines.



Having steamed each piece for about an hour and a half we clamped them in place and I left them for a couple of days. If you look closely you'll see I cut the port side one a bit short - will be able to fill the gap with a little shim when I'm done.


One thing to note was we needed to bevel the blocks on frames #1, #2 and #3 to get the chines to sit tight. Otherwise you have this gap:




Sadly when I finally came to unclamp / untie them though they just sprung out with hardly any shape remembered.



So now I'm in recovery mode. Second steaming attempt, this time I'm bagging one side at a time, filling the bag with steam and doing this for an hour more even after the pieces are clamped in place (still in the bag).



Fingers crossed tomorrow I'll declamp and find the shape is a bit closer to that desired. Certainly the wood was kept pretty hot and in the right place for a while.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Next round of improvements

Upgrade to control lines

Repairing the rudder

Album