More stringers!

On a roll now Another trip down to TH&H and I had enough cedar for the rest of stringers, chines and gunwhales. With some windy days I had to wait until there was a calm spot or the dust would go all over the garage. Sorry neighbors that's why I was table sawing at 8:15am on a Sunday!

The lesson I learnt on the second set of stringers was that when you twist at the bow the stringer needs to be pulled in the opposite direction at frame #1 (I originally setup to twist the other way).

Streaming the cedar for my hour and twenty gets it nice and soft. Not sure that'll work with the chines though they are a lot beefier. 

Also my single support in the middle of the ABS pipe isn't enough. It's sagging. Guess I'll try two then and one will go in the middle of the main sag.

Scroll to the bottom to get a visual on the level of twist needed up front. This is slightly over twisted but will spring back a little when released.






Next set steamed and clamped to take the shape. Note that they are only rough cut at this point I'll finish that just before gluing (and also fair the blocks at frame #1 for a slightly better fit).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Next round of improvements

Upgrade to control lines

Repairing the rudder

Album