Frames moving to the build box

Putting the frames onto their supports was a little fiddly as expected. A mockup girder helped set the centre line and I learnt to clamp blocks to the workbench at the expected locations to help set them up reliably. Once one side was set I simply then copied the measurements from the side with the plan to the other side.

Frame #5 proved the trickiest. I suspect that my frame deviates from the plan by about 1mm. In the end I made the bottom accurate and think the top will come good when the stringers are attached as they end up being the ply skin bearing surfaces.



And with this finished last night this morning I got to attach frame #1 to the base and started on #2. Going to take a few hours to be satisfied that all is straight but with the string down the centre and a straight box this is just a nudge here and a nudge there and possible a shim here and a shim there until satisfied.

In my "learning to work with MDF" today's lesson is predrill your screws even if self tapping when going through board ends.

This is quite exciting! My base boards extend out because I'm going to add a bumper so that when the kids are opening car doors near the boat it has some protection.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Next round of improvements

Upgrade to control lines

Repairing the rudder

Album