Beta testing

Sail four coming up tomorrow but again looks likely a light air affair. Fingers crossed a little more puff than last weekend....

Did a few projects based on my first sailing.

1) Going to extend the rudder hinge to go through the tiller to speed up rig and de-rig. Because this will weaken it a bit in an already weak zone I'm first going to add a reinforcing sleeve. This project will go into the next week but at the end of it I'll be able to remove the rudder without taking the tiller off.



I also decided to add a boom sleeve to stop the mainsheet snagging my neck. Couldn't see any off the shelf ones so ordered some sail material (both see through and dacron for edging) and double sided tape from SailRite. This made a pretty nice sleeve we'll see how long it lasts.


Perhaps most importantly I reduced all the control lines from 1/4" to 5/32". These match the blocks and run a LOT better. Given that I also swapped back to low friction rings for the vang (2 plus the 4:1 tackle to get to 16:1) and it all feels pretty good now. That's the red below.



A new ratchet block (40mm T2) is ordered for the main. When it arrives I'll replace one of the above blocks with the 29mm T2 and probably replace the two large outhaul blocks with some 18mm T2s to see if that solves a small rubbing problem.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Next round of improvements

Upgrade to control lines

Repairing the rudder

Album