Inner Gunwhales on

Oddly I feel a bit sad as this marks the main bulk of woodwork complete!

Plenty left, I'm projecting finishing in February.

But still a bit sad with this milestone.

The inners were easier to attach than the outers. No screws needed. A little tricky to get the top overlap sorted.

Ash was used and the side decks got 1/4" thick strips, not much wood but it's solid.

I used a wider (but slightly thinner) strips at the front and planed them to shape rather than bent them. Because of the requirement to fit at the side deck they ended up quite thin under the mast step but I think I'll live with this.

Starting to look quite sharp.



After playing with the idea of making the gunwhales wrap around the bowplate I just cut them short - easier and less chance of water getting trapped in clever geometry.


 Overall I think she looks quite sharp. A lot depends on how consistent the final colors are.

Got a couple of areas of minor damage I need a solution to. Previous efforts to mix ply dust with epoxy ended up looking very dark and I'm not sure what the right solution is to get the final color right.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Next round of improvements

Upgrade to control lines

Repairing the rudder

Album