Girder glued in place, met my self imposed deadline

I wanted to be onto the stringers by today and I sort of am.

Glued the girder in place yesterday. Lots of glue and clamping. Came out okay.


Today I managed to do some cleanup - a fair few major dribbles involved but the joins were pretty well filled and the boat seems fairly straight.

When I was sanding my transom down I took the centre a bit too far. In an effort to make it smoothly curved I missed the fact that the centre stands a little proud of the general curve. Now that the girder is glued in place I'm building this back up again.


Hopefully gravity will pull this gooey mess just flat enough but not flatter than it needs to be and the final sand will be easy.

So what about those stringers? 

Well, I borrowed Jeff's of the other Farr (currently nearly complete on his girder but distracted by his big boat) planar.

And planed my cedar down to the 3/4" thickness needed for the stringers.



So they are started :)

Amazing machine that seems accurate and fast and makes an awesome mess in a short period of time. Probably would have been handy earlier but I saved a bit of wood staying with the 7/8 thickness the plank came at.

Everything set up to rip this plank into stringers in the morning. It's long enough for the inner two but I'll need a scarfing plan to maximise use for the rest. Stringer scarfs will be cut on the table-saw using a handy jig I made. At least I think it's handy it's not been used yet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Next round of improvements

Upgrade to control lines

Repairing the rudder

Album